Sunday, April 5, 2009

Hosanna in light

Today as it was hosanna we went to church early than usual time.
I love this day because the church become colorful and beautiful than usual.

Hosanna begins with a ceremonial procession around the church, with people holding the palm leaves and singing hosanna forms the highlight of the day’s ceremony. During this procession the children spread flowers on the way making the ceremony more enchanting.
This procession is done sticking onto the belief of the royal celebration held for Jesus who was moving to Jerusalem on his donkey back.

Usually the hosanna celebration begins at the break of dawn for the children who run to collect the best of flowers from their garden in the hope to spread it in church for the arrival of Jesus.

Palm Sunday is also called Kurutholapperunnal in my place.
We use tender coconut palm leaves for hosanna may be due to its availability in plenty.
I like its bright greenish shade very much.
Have you seen one? Don’t they look fresh and marvelous?


14 comments:

Leslie said...

What a beautiful post ! I could almost see your church. I would love to attend a service like that one.
Thabnks, for sharing.
Hugs~~~Leslie

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I know that was a beautiful ceremony, Susan. I love Palm Sunday and Holy Week. We processed around the church today --also carrying Palm fronds. It is truly a day of celebration.

In a former church, we were all given Palm Crosses to wear... AND--one year they portrayed Jesus coming into Jerusalem on a donkey... Talk about goose bumpgs.

This week we will have several services: Stations of the Cross, Tenebrae, Maundy Thurs., Good Friday and Holy Sat. It is a glorious week. I don't understand how people can celebrate Easter without going through Holy Week first.

Have a wonderful Holy Week.
Hugs,
Betsy

Aly said...

Beautiful pictures, I love the way you describe everything.

Anonymous said...

Happy Palm Sunday, Susan! Your church's celebration sounds lovely.

Patty said...

Sounds like a very nice custom. Glad you had a wonderful Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Your church sounds lovely! Thanks for stopping by the blog!

Monsal Varga said...

You gave us a wonderful description in a quite vivid way! I could almost feel the smell of those flowers picked so very early in the morning :)

Here in Portugal - a Catholic country - we also live this season in a joyful way.

Pranav Kumar V said...

Oh yeah!! They indeed look fresh!! :D

And yes, I learnt something new today. Thank you for the info!! :) See you when I see you... :)

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Susan: This was a wonderful remembrance post.

Susie said...

Hi Susan, Thanks for visiting my blog. I enjoyed viewing yours much. This is a beautiful post.

Cicero Sings said...

Thank you Susan for visiting my nature blog and leaving a comment. I've enjoyed reading some of your blog entries ... you have a fun way for writing!

I don't write on the nature blog very often ... my everyday blog takes most of my time when it comes to blogging.

Enjoy your Easter.

SmilingSally said...

This sounds like a great celebration--much like the triumphant entry when Jesus rode a donkey.

Thanks for stopping by my reading challenge blog. I have a regular blog and a book review blog too.

Sally

Bonnie said...

Thank you for sharing. You have a way with words. Sounds so beautiful.

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Susan :)

Very interesting information.

I didn't participate in the procession but I collected a palm leaf from the priest after the mass and made a cross exactly as you have done.

Have a good Holy Week and Blessed Easter.
Joseph :)